Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sensual Focus


So I guess I have decided, to a degree, that my blogg will be focused on the sensorial experience of Paris more than anything else and the bodily connection to place and life. And of course my thoughts on it all....

Generally my approach to the city is one of wanderings, mullings, and musings. I don't really plan where I want to go in a regimented way, I just float. I know I'll make it everywhere eventually. So after work I often just walk in any given direction with my mental map semi-present so I know where I am abouts. But I just walk, there’s no one else’s desires pulling me in any direction and I just let my body lead on instinct and intuition, and that’s where I point my feet.



And that’s how I’ve found the most amazing after work patisseries and the most amazing little boutiques tucked into corners of the Marais. I love that, just wandering, exploring, discovering. And then I map it all, in true Rome fashion (adopted from a FACS study abroad I did two years ago) I have a giant michelin map and I unfold it all on the floor of my airy little white room and I mark all of where I've been, to the best of my unconscious travellings. I love seeing everywhere I've been and where I haven't so I can explore those neighbourhoods too, it’s soothing in a visual arts kind of way.

I’m especially fascinated by smells right now, some of the most interesting ones I’ve encountered:
Tobacco
Blood
Sunshine
Rain
Sweat
&
the always slightly floral Parisian air

2 comments:

  1. Oh Rome... *sigh*

    I hadn't realized it before, but I guess that must be where my idea to use google maps the way that I have been came from! I loved marking my map of Rome with different coloured pencils... but the map was so big and unwieldy, and it wouldn't have covered all the places I've visited so far....

    I'm sure that Leslie would be glad to hear what an influence she's been on us though! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes I'm sure she would, actually the paris map is much smaller and easier to refold, its great! I love how you are the only person who comments lol

    ReplyDelete