Sounds I am really connecting to here are Canadian music! I have been listening CBC Radio 3 much more here in France than I do at home, even though I like it in both places. I find it kind of comforting and for some reason I enjoy it more while being abroad, I seem to make the time to listen more or appreciate it better, if feel much more connected to our music scene from across the ocean. So if you're feeling homesick....
Some of my recent favourites:
Joel Plaskett- Blue Moonlight
Gigi French- Jardinier
Maylee Todd- Summer Sounds
the new Starrs album
and especially...
the new Tokyo Police Club album! (short and sososososo good)
I've been enjoying these Canadian sounds while in museums also, I feel museums are really lacking anything but visual stimulation, so I always bring my ipod on my friday night Louvre visits (3 going on 4 consecutive fridays in a row!). It’s so nice to wander around on the free youth night and ignore everyone else and just enjoy the sounds and sights, it adds so much more to the experience and really is calming; you get in a walking, admiring, hearing rhythm that really refocuses you, freshens you up. And this transplantation into French culture has made me realize how little I have really seen of Canada, abroad we really make the effort to travel to see amazing sites and spectacles but at home, well I can't say I really know Canada. And I want to get to know her better; So France has made me realize I need to see my own sights as well as foreign ones. What makes Canadian wonders any less wonderful? simply because they are nearby? So when I get home my travels won't be ending, they will be transfering to Montreal, the east coast, and the Canadian Pacific.
I have developed a real auditory and tactile connection with water during the last few weeks. It can be so stressful and hot in Paris and any city at times; getting around and getting around the tourists. It was stinking hot the week before last. Just walking to the next room made you sweat. But even just the sound of water really lulled me and made me feel more calm and centred. Lying down next to the Seine under all the traffic and hot bodies was another world away. Just reflecting sunshine and lapping water.

No comments:
Post a Comment